Sunday, February 26, 2012

what kind of smart dog travels from massachusetts?


food list



breakfast: oatmeal and cranberries, raw fruit (grapes, cantaloupe, pineapple), whole wheat toast (gluten!!! nooo!!), coffee

snack: gluten-free pretzels, pomegranate green tea, diet coke (on which i will comment another day), reese's pieces (are these vegan?!)

lunch: soy hot dog (smart dog brand), green beans, salad (what i call my “stronghold delight”—chickpeas, cucumbers, broccoli, black olives and honey mustard dressing), baked potato, pomegranate green tea

dinner: a concoction of chickpeas, black beans, tomatoes, and corn; brussel sprouts, an apple with peanut butter


where did it come from?

let’s talk about smart dogs. the company that makes them is lightlife, and they are working on several initiatives to make their corporate foot print smaller—composting, solar energy, and non-meat food. they also partner with social programs to give some of their corporate profits away. but the company is based in massachusetts, which makes me think about the distance my food has traveled to get to me.  with that very thought in mind, I figured out that if my smart dog flew to me, it would take 301 lbs co2  and that doesn’t include the carbon emissions of traveling by truck between airports, company and grocery store (thanks, terrpass!) that's quite a bit of carbon for one soy dog!

reflections

this weekend we’re at stronghold for the weekend to work and rest. i've worked and volunteered there in various capacities for long enough that the fabulous kitchen staff has a really good idea of what i eat (and they don't even complain!) over the years, i've had several conversations with them about the environmental implications of being a vegetarian, particularly around the issue of animal conditions. but it seems to me that i have to start thinking about the implications of my diet if i want to be serious about its climate impact. 

i'm fooling myself if i think i'm shrinking my carbon footprint by exchanging meat for cross-country-traveling soy. i'm fooling myself if i think i'm necessarily better to the planet if i keep eating corporate meat-alternatives. that said, i have a freezer full of my favorite soy corn dogs (from conagra!) and other vegetarian-friendly food that's traveled quite a distance.

when i deceive myself, i'm capable of an arrogant self-assurance that i'm doing enough. i deceive myself into thinking that i'm mindful enough of how climate change affects other people and the planet. maybe its time for a little local protein and some confession.

want to read more about climate change and a vegetarian diet? 
the new york times did a piece in 2007: "A vegetarian diet reduces the diner's carbon footprint"

want to see what i'm checking out this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment